When it comes to ease of reading, standard eBooks file formats used normally are the best option for text-rich eBooks. It makes it easy for distribution across a wide range of subscription services, a host of retailers and libraries, and the eBooks can be accessed across eBook readers and applications. As these eBooks have no fixed page size and specifications, they can be rendered smoothly across various devices and applications flawlessly.
|Standard eBook file format|
The text of the eBook is able to aptly fit the screen of the device and assume a size that renders the same in the nest possible way depending on the current settings of the eReaders. If the manuscript that you have with you sports extensive styles that must be maintained all the times, then it would be wise that you have the same converted into Fixed Layout format for better rendering. Fixed layout eBook conversion services from expert professionals can always help.
Most of the times whether you are trying to convert a text-dominated manuscript all by yourself or trying to get someone else do it, it is wise to get acquainted with the process so that you know how things are done.
Now let us take a look on the same;
You need to understand that these instructions given below are only for manuscripts that have a simple layout. Media such as images, illustrations and photos can be included in the eBook if they have a simple layout. In case of complex layouts as in case of children book illustration services, the whole things are entirely different.
The idea here is, irrespective of the eBook reading device that is going to be used to access these eBooks, the actual layout of the eBook is deliberately kept simple.
Let us begin;
Preparation Guiding Principles
Before you begin anything, make sure that the following items are NOT INCLUDED.
· Any type of advertising
· Background colors, images or borders
· Texts with different colors
· Drop-caps at in different styles
· Headers and footers
· Layouts that have multi-column
· Page numbers
· Any type of reference to particular eBook stores
· Text boxes
These are advised to not to include as these setting will not be rendered as they are in an eBook when rendered across eBook readers having different screen size, settings and display capabilities. The same is applicable in case of eBook conversion for kindle devices as well.
Layout of the page
· The size of the page does not have prominence here—letter or the A4 would do just fine.
· Leave the standards settings and avoid insertion of any specific values.
· Make use of a page break in order to separate chapters from each other.
· Make use of a solo paragraph break to separate paragraphs from each other.
· Sub-sections or sections in a chapter can be separated by using a centered break.
· Multiple spaces or tabs should not be used.
Style of the fonts and text used
This is an important aspect of setting your manuscript right; to keep the eBook accessible and great, make sure that the styles and fonts used stay simple.
· Only use a font type from Arial, Georgia or Times New Roman for the body of the document.
· The font size of 10, 11 or 12 point is preferred.
· Make sure that the font color is black.
· Make use a single line space that does not exceed 1.5.
· Do not consider kerning or leading.
· Ensure that the style used is ‘normal in ‘Quick Style’ in word to manage the body style.
· Make use of basic formatting such as Bold, Italics or All Caps, when necessary.
· Make use of standard heading style in ‘Quick Style’ in word such as preferred by default.
It would be just fine to render the titles in a different artistic font as these can be displayed as image with a consistent style
Images in color can be rendered by some eReaders, however, some do not have the ability to do so and hence they render images in grayscale. If you have diagrams or illustrations in color, before adding the same ensure that they can make sense even in grayscale.
· You can insert images into the document but for better looks provide them as different files.
· Avoid floating the image to any particular alignment but put them in their own alignment.
· You always have the option to add hypertext links to websites and email addresses.
· Adding hyperlinks never create any issues within the manuscript.
· Hypertexts will work only on those devices that have an internet connection.
If you would like to hypertext one area of the manuscript to another, you can make use of bookmark capabilities of the Microsoft Word. While doing so, care must be taken to mention the page numbers where your reference is pointing to.
Table of contents
Most digital publishing companies can help you with adding a small, yet effective table of content if your book is a work of fiction. However, the significance of table of content is bigger when you have any other type of book that is either academic or based on any studies. This can help the reader understand various chapters and sections quite easily and navigate effortlessly.
Make sure you carry out the following
In order to make sure that the document is flawless and just perfect as you want it to be, proofread the same to avoid any type of grammatical, formatting, stylistic or spelling errors. Also, have someone else who is better capable than you read the entire document to find any glitches in the document. Most companies offering eBook conversion services normally have expert copyeditors and proofreaders with them.
These factors, when carefully taken care of and adhered to, can help you get the best conversion result at all circumstances.
You can always get in touch with any of the reputed companies offering conversion and formatting related services if you want an external support.